Moringa oleifera, a native plant of Northern India, also grows in tropical regions of southern Asia, South America and Africa have been in the health trend for its tremendous health benefits. It has been there for thousands of years, as a dietary supplement. Alternative names being popular as drumstick tree, or horseradish tree or ben oil tree.
Science-based studies have proved recently that this plant, its leaves, fruits and seeds have many health benefits and can be regarded as a superfood.
Many households in India, Africa uses the fruits, seeds, leaves for cooking. Otherwise, it is available in powdered form, pills, capsules as supplements.
5 known benefits:
1.Dietary supplement: The moringa contains a variety of vitamin, protein and minerals. Vitamins mainly B1 (thiamine) B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) and B6. It contains Vitamin C and folate. Loads of minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron and zinc. It has no harmful cholesterol. Moringa seeds are rich in antioxidant properties and so help in protecting skin and hair.
2.Helps in weight loss: Research shows that moringa extract helps in weight loss. It’s high vitamin B content facilitate digestion. It lowers cholesterol and helps the digestion of fat and prevent storing of fat. It has anti-inflammatory properties. It lowers cholesterol, due to compounds like isothiocyanate and niaziminin. It helps maintains the blood pressure so, good for cardiovascular health.
3.Improve haemoglobin level: Moringa extract contains iron and folate so helps in treating anaemia and sickle cell disease. It also helps the body to absorb iron, so help increasing the red cell count.
4.Medicinal: Moringa extract has been found to heal wounds. Since it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties, it has been found to fight against bacterial diseases, gastritis, ulcerative colitis. It has shown to improve lung function so helps in asthma. Since, it improves the haemoglobin level, reduces blood glucose so helps to treat diabetes.
5.Wellbeing: Due to its antioxidant properties, releases the toxicity from the kidneys so contribute to kidney health. Improves eyesight by dilating the retinal vessels, preventing retinal dysfunction. Due to its richness in calcium and phosphorous, it contributes to bone health. It also found to help in mood disorders, depression and anxiety. It has anti-cancer properties. It also prevents liver damage.
Before, taking any supplements, it is important to inform and discuss with your physician. Many people are on regular medication for hypertension, diabetes or antidepressants, so there may be chances of drug interference when taken along moringa extract.
Before, buying the supplement, it important to read the labels for any kind of additives and the quantity to be used.
It has anti infertility properties so contraindicated for pregnancy.
Green tea is one of the healthiest beverage known in the world today. So waking up every morning with a cup of green tea is awesome to kick start the day.
I am both tea land coffee lover but and green tea tops my list. It is always advisable to choose a high-quality brand of green tea as low-quality brands may contain fluoride.
7 most important proven benefits are :
- Green tea is very rich in polyphenol antioxidants and catechin called EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallate). They have proven health benefits of reducing inflammation and help in fighting cancer.
- Like coffee, green tea contains caffeine. Not just caffeine, it also contains amino acid L-theanine which increases the activity of neurotransmitter GABA. They not only keep you awake but improves the brain function and has anti-anxiety effects. Catechins in green tea have a protective effect on the neurons so lower the risk of Alzheimers and Parkinson’s disease.
3. Green tea is the recommended supplement for weight loss. it boosts the metabolism and increases the fat burning.
4.Many studies have proved that green tea drinkers do have a protective effect against some type of cancers like breast, prostate and colorectal cancers. It is due to loads of antioxidants found in green tea.
5.The catechins in green tea can boost your immunity and lower the risk of both bacterial and viral infections like influenza. It can improve your dental hygiene by killing oral bacteria.
6.Green tea increases the antioxidant capacity of blood and thereby reduces the LDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) from oxidation. it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. It slightly reduces blood sugar too. So good for type 2 diabetics.
7. Since green tea drinkers have a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases, protected against some cancers, boosted immunity, they likely to live longer and healthy.
Fibre foods are plant extract foods which are either soluble or insoluble fibres. Fibres are found in the outer layer of whole grains and plants which remain undigested in the gut. They cannot be digested by our body’s digestive enzymes. As they remain undigested, they facilitate the digestion process, help in digesting other food in the gut and also modulate the consistency of body waste. Dietary fibre foods are whole wheat, rice, oats, corn, fruits, veggies, pulses and nuts.
Now, the 7 perks of fibre food that I would like to convey are…
- Fibre food are ideal for weight management reason. This type of food gives the sensation of fullness after consumption and provide the bulk of body waste which helps to clean the bowel. Therefore, it helps to maintain the body weight.
- As fibre food takes longer chewing time, longer digestive time, so glucose formation in body is slow, insulin response is slower too. The person tend to eat less and does not feel hungry for a long time. As a result, slowly loses the excessive weight. Therefore, these food are highly recommeded for weight loss.
3. Fibre food helps in reducing blood sugar level. Since fibre content is not digested hence it is not added to the blood sugar level. Clinically, fibre food have found to reduce postprandial glycaemia and increase insulin sensitivity. So, they are good for diabetics.
4.Since this food maintain the blood sugar level and gives the sensation of fullness, They are clinically recommended for gastrointestinal disorders and obesity.
5. Plant extracts food are rich in fibres, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Hence, they have the added benefits of removing toxins along with body waste and help boost the body’s immunity.
6. Studies have proved that fibre food helps in lowering blood cholesterol level so help in reducing risk of hypertension, stroke and coronary artery diseases.
7. Fibre food facilitate the digestive process, helps in removing unwanted waste, toxins, helps in cleaning the bowel. Therefore, fibre food intake helps in reducing the risk of bowel cancers.
10 tips to slow down ageing.
Ageing is natural so inevitable. But why ageing occurs ? Our body is made up of a community of living cells, functional units which function individually as well as in harmony with one another. The basic cause of ageing is cell damage. Each living cell continue to replicate again and again. But with each time, the cell dies and replicate, the telomere in the DNA strand of cell shortens. So as ageing start progressing, the telomere start shortening. The old cell function slowly and start declining. This telomere of cell can determine our actual biological age.
Other important factors of ageing are free radical damage, exposure to heat, radiation, sunlight, emotional stress and unhealthy lifestyle. Inspite of all these factors, the question is, can we slow down ageing ? The answer is yes. We can control some of these factors and slow down the ageing process.
So, comes the key points to at least slow down this natural process…
- First, the most important key is loving yourself beyond anything . Love yourself and accepting the way you are. This gives you an immense strength to take care of yourself, your body ,mind and soul. Once this feeling is ingrain in you, you will naturally take utmost care of yourself and also the people around you.
- More than physical stress, emotional stress is the commonest cause to trigger ageing. Troubled relationship, work stress, lonliness are some common triggers. Try look out for solutions whenever you are in a messy situation. Maintaining a calm mind, would surely give some solutions. Hard times do come. But good times always come. Once you move on from your mental stress, not only physically, as well as mentally you will start feeling better.
3 Completely avoid a sedentary life style. Follow a routine exercise regime. Any form of physical activity like walking, jogging, gymming, cycling are all beneficial. Yoga is a very useful form of practise. Sometime, due to time constrain for busy work life, routine exercise is difficult , then incorporate more and more physical activity like climbing stairs, body movement to keep boosting the body’s metabolism.
4.Maintaing a healthy lifestyle is very important to slow down ageing. Life style factors like smoking, alcohol and sugar intake should be reduced. Avoiding them completely, is a boost to slow down ageing.
5. Eating habits should be routinely scheduled. Have meal at regular timings with no intermittent snacking. But yes, a fruit or handful of nuts whenever hungry is just normal. Try drinking plenty of fluids, mainly water. This gives you a naturally glowing complexion.
6. Meals should be composed of good portions of veggies and fruits which would give you the natural dose of antioxidants to combat the free radical damage.
7. Greying of hair is normal. Nutritious food and fluid intake regularly would surely enrich your hair texture and prevent hair fall. Coconut and almond oils are good for head massage as they help in hair growth. Too much of hair colours and chemical treatment can prove harmful in the long run.
8. To keep your skin look younger even when ageing is the diet and a good night sleep. Big portion of fresh fruits and veggies with fluid intake daily would surely help. Do follow your routine skin regime to keep your skin clean and hydrated. Organic /nature based products are good for skin. Applying sun screen lotions and wearing protective clothing during sun exposure are beneficial for skin.
9.Follow your hobbies, passion or any interest you have. This gives you the freedom of expressing your thoughts, emotional outlet to let out. This also gives you joy and peace within. To age slowly, mental calmness and peace are very important.
10. Lastly, give yourself a few minutes everyday, to meditate, to go within, to the person you are, or the one you want to become. Money and materialistic success are not enough for a calm and happy state of mind. Be grateful always, spiritually, stay connected to your higher self, for having a beautiful life.
Fear Factor !
In each one of us, life runs with a common drive, call emotion. Whatever action we do, there is an emotion behind. Not only human, but all animals have emotions. So, fear is also a basic emotion, an instinct for a potential danger.
Whenever we see, feel, sense some kind of danger/threat, biologically, the amygdala and hypothalamus in the brain get instantly activated. The stress hormones like cortisol, adrenaline are pumped in the blood stream which result in rapid heart beat, high blood pressure, dilated pupil, tightening of big muscles and sweating, ready to run, fight or response. Actually, this is our biological mechanism, a protective response which helps us to survive. Fear, as an instinct is not bad at all. In fact when fear comes, our mind becomes focus, sharpened at the particular task and we can perform better. It is an adaptive mechanism.The instinct is short lived and the body comes back to its normal homeostasis.
Feeling little fear for an upcoming event, job interview, exam, speech, stage performance is a natural instinct. In fact, it would help you to be more focus on the up coming task. Instinctual fear for fire, height, speed or some kind of potential danger to life is all natural. So fear is adaptive and protective when short lived.
But then, why fear affect us ? When fear becomes habitual, crippling, excessive, it will eventually affect our mental and physical health. When fear is imaginative, irrational, unrealistic, it gets you into real trouble. It will affect your daily life. Then, it is no longer instinctive. It becomes habitual in the sub conscious mind for some imaginative events or ideas which is not even real or that has never happened. In such cases, it is very difficult to get out of such mind frame. Constant fear can lead to anxiety. Anxiety and stress not only have negative impact on your health but also the daily functioning of life. To get out from a habitual fear, a default sub conscious programme, you need to be constantly aware of such moments. The most important thing is your will power, the trust and belief in yourself to bring out the change. This is not an easy task. But, yes, it is possible and you can overcome fear eventually. At times, professional help might be necessary, if the situation is out of control.
When it comes to fear, childhood is an important phase. Unrealistic, irrational fears inculcated in childhood may result in anxiety, phobias and even panic attacks in future life.
Simple tips to overcome your fear in everyday life.
Start facing your fear. The first or second time, you may tumble, but slowly you will overcome.
As I have already mentioned, by being more aware of such moments, know yourself why you get anxious or fearful and being prepared for such moments. So next time, when it comes you know, it is just your imaginative mind. Take a few deep breathes, and it goes away after a while.
Try maintain a calm mind, exercise, yoga and meditation surely helps in calming the mind.
Your spirituality or faith in something that is higher than you makes you feel connected and safe.
But lastly, yes, if fear is out of control, medical/professional help is necessary.
Sitting, a health hazard !
Sitting long is as hazardous as smoking. When we sit long, we use less energy and body’s metabolism slows down. This in turn give rise to a host of health concerns.
Right from evolution, the human race was never meant for a sedentary lifestyle. Humans had to work hard, struggle a lot to survive on earth. But things dramatically changed with science and technology. With each passing days, as our comfort level rises, the human behaviour and habits changed. It was more of mental work and less of physical activity. But our body’s physiology remained the same. We, humans were never meant to sit or lie down long. We were meant to stay upright. Staying upright actually helps our body’s metabolism and digestion to function appropriately. Body’s energy store is well utilised and bone strength is maintained.
Talking about health hazards, sitting long slower the metabolism and as a result body’s over all energy utilisation is reduced. The muscles of the legs, back, abdomen loosen and relaxed. With such posture for a long time can lead to chronic body, back, leg pain. Since, the metabolism decreases, there is chances of high blood sugar, high cholesterol, increase fat store in the body. The chances of obesity, fatty liver, diabetes are all on rise. There is high risk of cardiovascular diseases and cancer contributed to mortality rate. Recent studies have found that sitting prolong for than eight hours can have the same risk of dying similar to the risk of dying from smoking and obesity.
Different researches are going on throughout the world on various recommendations of how long sitting hours and how many hours of physical activity required for different age group of people. So the exact hours and time is quite difficult to recommend. But the simple rule I follow, is trying to build a habit, an awareness, a reminder to move around, have a bit of physical activity in between interval of at least 30 mins of sitting continuously. Apart from that, there is my routine daily physical activity or exercises of at least 60 mins. Different people have different level of endurance and bodily requirements. So it is wise to choose your own convenient routine of physical activity and bodily movements. My intention of writing this post was to make you aware about the dangers of sitting long. If you feel that you are not doing enough of physical activity, it’s never too late to turn around and increase your movements. So in the process, you will enjoy the great health benefits from this simple change of habit.